Make this delicious shrimp recipe in only 5 minutes!
Shrimp in Creamy Garlic Sauce ready to be eaten
In less time that it takes to boil pasta, you can prepare this easy dinner recipe for extra large or jumbo shrimp in creamy garlic sauce with fresh red peppers.
We love making this shrimp and pasta recipe because it’s fast and delicious – perfect for family dinners, and also festive and tasty enough for company. If you want to add to the flavor, just snip and sprinkle a sprig of your favorite fresh herb across the top.
We use frozen shrimp for this recipe (see our directions for how to thaw shrimp), and usually serve this easy pasta dinner with a green vegetable such as asparagus or green peas. French or Italian bread to soak up the last bits of sauce rounds out the meal.
Shrimp in creamy garlic sauce recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds extra-large to jumbo shelled shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 2 red peppers, sliced into strips and cut crosswise in 1 1/2 inch lengths
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup half and half, or light cream
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon of a fresh herb such as thyme, rosemary, basil, or parsley (optional)
Have all ingredients ready before you start cooking, because this easy recipe takes only a few minutes to put together.
If you’re planning to serve the shrimp in creamy garlic sauce with pasta (as we do, as shown in the photo above), drop the pasta into a pot of salted water boiling about two minutes before you start cooking the shrimp.
Raw shrimp, red peppers, chopped garlic, and a couple of rosemary springs
1. Heat butter in a large skillet or saute pan over medium heat for about 30 seconds, until the butter melts.
2. Add the garlic, cayenne (optional), and shrimp. Cook 1 minute, and then use tongs to flip the shrimp over. Cook 1 more minute until the shrimp turn pink (or white) and look almost opaque. Remove the pan from the heat and use the tongs to quickly remove the shrimp and place them on a plate. They will not be fully cooked, but don’t worry – you’ll finish cooking them in the sauce in Step 5.
3. Turn up the heat to medium-high, and return the skillet to the stove. Immediately add the red peppers and cook for 1 minute, stirring once.
4. Add the white wine, and stir to deglaze the bottom of the pan. Simmer for 30 seconds. Turn the heat to low, and add the cream. Simmer for 30 more seconds.
5. Add the shrimp back to the pan, and simmer for 30 more seconds, until the shrimp becomes opaque. Remove from the heat, and season with a sprinkle of sea salt and pepper.
The shrimp in creamy garlic sauce is now ready to serve. If you want to add to the flavor, use kitchen scissors to snip small pieces of a fresh herb such as rosemary or thyme across the top.
4. Remove the pan from the heat. Taste the sauce, and add more salt and pepper if needed. serve immediately with the pasta.
Total cooking / stirring time: about 5 minutes – my idea of the perfect fast food!
Our serving suggestions and tips
Although we usually serve this recipe for shrimp in creamy garlic sauce with a mid-sized tube pasta such as rigatoni or penne, it also works well with rice.
For a completely different but delicious effect, make mashed white or sweet potatoes, put a portion on each place and mash down the top with the back of a spoon to make a shallow pool. Serve the shrimp and red peppers on top, using the “pool” to hold the sauce.
A simple green vegetable such as steamed asparagus or spinach will go well with the sauce. And for dessert? Anything chocolate!
More Super Seafood Recipes for Shrimp