Easy one-dish meal recipe for cod and vegetables
Delicious – and easy! – cod with vegetables in white wine, butter, lemon, and garlic sauce
Make this easy baked cod recipe with lemon butter sauce during hot summer weather when you want a fast one-dish meal. Fresh vegetables pack in flavor, color, and vitamins, and lemon and garlic give punch to the light sauce.
Some summer evenings get too hot to even turn on the grill.
That’s when this baked cod recipe with lemon butter sauce will be your best friend.
The sauce takes literally 1 minute to make in a skillet – and then you add the veggies, fish, and seasonings.
Best of all, you can use whatever vegetables you have in your fridge, garden, or freezer.
Pop the skillet into the oven to let your delicious one-dish dinner bake for 8-10 minutes, while you retreat to the coolest spot in your house or your back porch with a frosty drink.
About the ingredients
One reason why we love this baked cod with lemon butter recipe is that you can use your favorite vegetables – or whatever you have around. For that matter, you can substitute other fish such as haddock or mahi-mahi, or even shellfish such as scallops.
In the photos on this page, you can see what I used: peas from our garden (some shelled, some sugar snap edible podded peas), a few small ripe tomatoes, and green and golden zucchini squash from the local farmers’ market. I even used frozen vegetables once when I made this during the winter, and they tasted fine, although fresh veggies do have more flavor.
Baked cod recipe with lemon butter sauce and veggies
- 1 ½ pound cod filet, cut into 2 or 3 pieces
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (or juice of 1 lemon)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- About 4 cups of vegetables cut into bite-size pieces – good choices include zucchini, yellow crookneck squash, peas (shelled or snow peas), tomatoes (cherry, grape, or larger tomatoes cut into smaller pieces), sweet red or green peppers, beans
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C)
1. Melt the butter in a large 10″-12″ skillet over low heat.
2. Add the garlic and flour to the skillet, and stir with a spoon or whisk to make a smooth paste. Add the wine. Stir again until smooth, and remove the skillet from the heat. This whole process should take about 60 seconds.
3. Add the lemon juice, salt, pepper, and vegetables, and stir to coat them with the sauce. Use your spoon to push them to the sides to make room for the fish.
4. Put the fish in the skillet, and turn the pieces over a couple of times to coat them with the sauce. Arrange the vegetables around them, as shown in this photo:
Pieces of cod and veggies coated with lemon-butter-garlic sauce
5. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top of the cod. Put the skillet into the oven to cook. Using your oven mitts, take it out and test the fish with a fork after 8 minutes to see if it has become opaque. If so, it’s done.
We usually serve pasta with this delicious one-dish-meal baked cod and veggies with lemon butter sauce. Rice or even new potatoes work equally well.
Don’t worry if every member of your family doesn’t normally love every single veggie you plan to serve with the cod. The combination of lemon, butter, white wine, and garlic in the sauce makes everything cooked in it irresistible.
Return to Top – Baked Cod Recipe with Lemon Butter Sauce
More Super Seafood Recipes for easy seafood summer recipes