Tasty shrimp and garlic sauce recipe from Italy
Italian Shrimp in Garlic Sauce ready to serve
This Italian shrimp in garlic sauce recipe takes only minutes to make, but is addictively delicious. Olive oil, butter, white wine, and a hint of lemon add to the Mediterranean flavors.
By mid-week, busy schedules mean we need fast food – and this garlic shrimp recipe hits the target for convenience and speed. Cooking this Italian favorite is faster than calling for Thai carryout – and for tastiness, it rivals what you’d order in the best seafood restaurants.
Thaw some frozen shrimp overnight (we keep a bag of peeled uncooked jumbo shrimp in our freezer as a “staple”), add rice and water to the automatic rice cooker with the timer set for dinner time, and leave the house for work and school.
When we return home, we make the shrimp in garlic sauce in 15 minutes. Steam a green vegetable such as broccoli or asparagus – and dinner is done!
Italian Shrimp in Garlic Sauce recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds extra-large to jumbo shrimp, shelled and deveined; frozen shrimp should be thawed overnight (see our tips for thawing shrimp)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8 – 10 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- Zest from 1 lemon, grated
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat butter and olive oil in a large skillet or saute pan over medium heat for about 1 minute until the butter melts. Turn the heat to low.
2. Add the garlic, red pepper flakes, and shrimp. Cook 2 minutes, and then use tongs to flip the shrimp over. Cook another 1-2 minutes until the shrimp turn pink (or white) and look opaque. Use the tongs to carefully remove the shrimp and place them in a serving bowl or platter.
3. Turn up the heat to medium, and return the skillet to the stove. Immediately add the wine, and stir to deglaze the bottom of the pan. Add a bit of sea salt and pepper. Simmer for about 1 minute, stirring constantly.
4. Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the lemon juice and lemon zest. Pour the sauce over the shrimp, and serve immediately.
Total cooking / stirring time: about 6 – 7 minutes, depending on the size of your shrimp!
Our serving suggestions and tips
We usually serve this easy recipe for shrimp with Italian garlic and white wine sauce with rice, since the sauce adds a great flavor to the rice. An easy vegetable such as steamed broccoli or asparagus, or green beans sauteed with tomatoes rounds out the meal.
However, the shrimp also goes well with pasta such as linguini.
Because of its fast cooking time, this recipe is perfect for rushed mid-week family dinners, as well as more elegant weekend dinners with guests. If you do the kind of entertaining where everyone crowds into the kitchen while you cook, you’ll appreciate the short time at the stove!